Compiled by Tania Harris
– A Reference Point to learn changes in Australian Employment Law
– Issues that Affect your Business
– Guiding Employers towards Compliance
– Providing Best Practice Solutions for Business
URGENT: CHANGES TO ANNUALISED SALARIED EMPLOYEES WAGE ARRANGEMENTS
There are new arrangements for Salaried Employees covered under approximately 20 Modern Awards. These changes applied from 1 March 2020 and there is no grace period.
The changes include putting a process in place, to document an annual calculation of the Entitlements the Salaried Employee would have received, should they have been employed as an Hourly Rate Employee. You also need to consider a way to reconcile and pay any shortfall within 14 days of this comparison being made. There are also other changes including record-keeping requirements.
If you require Assistance in implementing these changes, please let me know. It is important to get it right.
IR MINISTER INVITES SCRUTINY OF COMPLEX AWARDS
The IR Minister Christian Porter, has confirmed that he will oversee a review of Award complexities, as Employees abandon Salaries amidst claims of onerous new record-keeping requirements.
He was referring to the increased record-keeping and reconciliation requirements for some Award-based Workers on Annualised Salaries from 1 March 2020. (Refer to article above).
The IR Minister clearly advised ‘No Employee, be they on an Annualised Salary arrangement or otherwise, should be paid less than their Legal Entitlement”.
INCREASES FOR CASUALS UNDER THE GENERAL RETAIL INDUSTRY AWARD
Casual Penalty Rates have been Increased from 1 March 2020. The Fair Work Commission has been slowly introducing increases to the Penalty Rates under the General Retail Industry Award 2010. These more regular, smaller increases were designed to lessen the impact on Employers in this industry, whilst still passing on the Penalty Rate Increase.
Increases are as follows:
- Evening Work Monday to Friday – Casual Employees – from 1 March 2020 to 30 September 2020
A Penalty Payment of an additional 40% Loading will apply for Ordinary Hours worked after 6pm (inclusive of the Casual Loading). An increase from an additional 35% loading.
- Saturday Work – Casual Employees – from 1 March 2020
A Penalty Payment of an additional 50% Loading will apply for Ordinary Hours on a Saturday (inclusive of the Casual Loading). An increase from an additional 45% loading.
Existing Awards are being extensively varied, as a result of the 4-Yearly Review of Modern Awards.
The first group of Varied Awards came into operation on 4 February 2020.
The second group of Varied Awards will come into operation on 13 April 2020 and 4 May 2020.
Please contact me if you wish to discuss your Employment Arrangements or have any Queries.
BE IN TUNE
– Ensure your Business is Compliant with current Australian Employment Law. Has your Business had a yearly Compliance Check? Ensure your internal operations are efficient, effective and compliant. A solid Employment Framework should protect your Business in the event of a claim.
– Please contact us if you have any Queries.
– Phone or E-mail Tania for Clarity and Peace of Mind, so you can focus on growing your business.
TANIA HARRIS | EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS CONSULTANTS
E-mail: email@example.com add to your address book for safe transmission.
Telephone: +61 (0)417 389 811
Post: PO Box 121, Battery Point, Tasmania, 7004, Australia