Compiled by Tania Harris
– 23 March 2020, # 5 –
– A Reference Point to learn changes in Australian Employment Law
– Issues that Affect your Business
– Guiding Employers towards Compliance
– Providing Best Practice Solutions for Business
CORONAVIRUS UPDATE (COVID-19)
PLACES OF SOCIAL GATHERING TO CLOSE FROM MIDDAY TODAY
National Cabinet last night agreed to move to more widespread restrictions on social gatherings.
Premiers and Chief Ministers agreed to implement, through state and territory laws, new Stage 1 restrictions on social gatherings, to be reviewed on a monthly basis.
Australians should expect these measures to be in place for at least 6 months.
The following facilities will be restricted from opening from midday local time 23 March 2020:
- Pubs, registered and licenced clubs (excluding bottle shops attached to these venues), hotels (excluding accommodation)
- Gyms and indoor sporting venues
- Cinemas, entertainment venues, casinos, and night clubs
- Restaurants and cafes will be restricted to takeaway and/or home delivery
- Religious gatherings, places of worship or funerals (in enclosed spaces and other than very small groups and where the 1 person per 4 square metre rule applies).
Other facilities are not impacted, but will be considered under stage 2 restrictions, if necessary.
These measures also apply to outdoor spaces associated with the above venues.
STAND DOWN WITHOUT PAY
Under the Fair Work Act, an Employee can only be stood down without pay if they cannot be usefully employed because of a stoppage of work for any cause which the Employee cannot reasonably be held responsible.
Employers can stand down Employees without pay as there now has been an Enforceable Government Order or Direction put in place requiring the facilities specified above to close (which means there is no work for the Employees to do, even from another location).
Please contact me if you have any queries or require any assistance.
BE IN TUNE
– Ensure your Business is Compliant with current Australian Employment Law. Has your Business had a yearly Compliance Check? Ensure your internal operations are efficient, effective and compliant. A solid Employment Framework should protect your Business in the event of a claim.
– Please contact us if you have any Queries.
– Phone or E-mail Tania for Clarity and Peace of Mind, so you can focus on growing your business
TANIA HARRIS | EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS CONSULTANTS
E-mail: email@example.com add to your address book for safe transmission.
Telephone: +61 (0)417 389 811
Post: PO Box 121, Battery Point, Tasmania, 7004, Australia
If you require to Print this Document, consider the Environment and Print only on 100% Recycled Paper.
My Devices are Secure using up-to-date Internet Security Software.
Important Disclaimer: Material contained in this Newsletter is comment of a general nature and is not intended to be advice on any specific professional matter. The effectiveness or accuracy of any professional advice depends upon the particular circumstances of each case. Tania Harris does not accept any responsibility for any acts or omissions resulting from reliance upon the content of any articles contained herein. Before acting on the basis of any material contained in this Newsletter, Tania Harris recommends that you seek advice on your particular circumstances.